Tips and Tricks to Get Free Diamonds and Grow Your Farm in Hay Day
Hay Day is a free mobile game for iOS and Android that places you in charge of a small family farm. You can grow crops, raise livestock, and build up the best farm out there. Everything you do takes time though, which is how the developer, Supercell, is able to make money on this type of free-to-play game.
Miguel Co / Lifewire
If you don’t want to wait for your crops to finish growing, or your buildings to finish construction, you can rush completion of just about anything in the game with a premium currency called Diamonds that Supercell sells as an in-app purchase for real money.
Since diamonds are clearly so useful in Hay Day, most of the important cheats, hacks, exploits, and tips revolve around getting diamonds without buying them in the in-app store. There are also a lot of important techniques you can use to obtain coins, which are the other in-game currency that’s required to place new buildings, buy new livestock, and decorate your farm.
Whether you’re a city slicker fresh off the truck or a bona fide green thumb with an awesome farm already at your disposal, we’ve gathered together some of the best information out there to help you get your hands on free diamonds and get the most out of Hay Day without paying a bunch of money.
Games like Hay Day provide players with a choice: pay a bunch of money for instant gratification, or progress at a slower rate. In Hay Day, Supercell implements that choice in the form of diamonds, which you can use to speed the growth of crops, the production of buildings, instantly start work on products that you don’t have the raw materials for, and more.
With that choice on the table, it may be tempting to give in to a third option, which is presented in the form of online key generators, hacks, and third-party diamond sellers. All of these sources of free diamonds offer instant progress in Hay Day for free, for watching ads or even filling out a survey.
The fact is that there are no legitimate sources of Hay Day cheat codes, hacks, cheap diamonds, free diamonds, or anything of the kind.
Many of these services ask you to download a program, fill out a survey, or provide your Hay Day log in information, and promise free diamonds in return.
These offers are almost uniformly scams, and may even result in phishing or infect your computer with malware. Even if one of these illicit methods was able to provide you with free or cheap diamonds, Supercell has a history of quickly banning accounts for that type of suspicious activity.
It may be difficult to wait for your crops to grow, and your buildings to finish production, but there are a ton of ways to get free diamonds without illicit hacks or shady third-party sellers. If you take advantage of all the free diamonds that Supercell throws your way, and avoid unwise spending, it will definitely pay off in the end.
The easiest way to get your hands on free diamonds in Hay Day is through achievements, which you will earn naturally as you play the game. These achievements come from doing tasks you would be doing anyway, like harvesting crops and fulfilling truck delivery requests, so don’t be surprised if you see the achievement alert pop up from time to time while you’re playing.
If you want to dig right in and head straight for the achievements, to unlock your free diamonds as quickly as possible, we have assembled a handy chart that outlines exactly how to do that.
There are a handful of Hay Day achievements that award things like farm decorations, so we have left those out. The rest of the achievements each have three tiers, which means you will receive free diamonds a total of three times as you achieve the goal of each tier.
For instance, you get one diamond after completing your first 20 truck deliveries. After that, you can expect to receive two diamonds after 500 deliveries and 3 diamonds after 2,000. That might seem like a lot, but if you take advantage of all our advanced tips and tricks, you’ll get there in no time.
If you do manage to complete every single achievement in the game, you’ll end up with a total of 465 free diamonds. Just don’t spend them all rushing crops!
|Achievement||How to Unlock It||Number of Gems|
|Beep Beep!||Complete 20, 500, and finally 2,000 truck deliveries.||1/2/3|
|Patronage||Sell goods to visitors 200, 500, and finally 2,500 times.||1/2/3|
|Cha-Ching!||Sell 200, 5,000, and finally 25,000 worth of goods at your roadside shop.||1/2/3|
|Stevedore||Sell 3,000, 25,000, and finally 100,000 worth of goods from boats.||1/2/3|
|Egghead||Collect 12, 600, and finally 3,600 eggs from your chickens.||1/2/3|
|Got Milk?||Collect 6, 500, and finally 2,150 jugs of milk from your cows.||1/2/3|
|Baconator||Collect 10, 200, and finally 1,500 strips of bacon from your pigs.||1/2/3|
|Sheep Shearer||Collect 20, 300, and finally 1,800 wool from your sheep.||1/2/3|
|Goat Goader||Collect 20, 300, and finally 1,800 jugs of milk from your goats.||1/2/3|
|Turbo Trucker||Fulfill 10, 20, and finally 30 truck orders in the span of 30 minutes.||1/2/3|
|Hyper Herder||Collect 30 and then 60 total animal products within the span of 45 minutes, and then collect 30 animal products within the span of 30 minutes.||1/2/3|
|Captain||Completely load 3, 6, and then 12 consecutive boats.||1/2/3|
|Citizen Kane||Place an ad in the Daily Dirt 5, 100, and finally 2,000 times.||1/2/3|
|Farm Tycoon||Build 10, 15, and finally 20 total production buildings.||1/2/3|
|Dream Farm||Invest 100, 2,500, and finally 50,000 total coins in decorating your farm.||1/2/3|
|Fruit Farmer||Pick 12, 600, and finally 3,600 fruits.||1/2/3|
|Berry Picker||Pick 10, 200, and finally 2,150 berries.||1/2/3|
|Green Thumb||Revive 20, 500, and finally 2,000 fruit trees or berry bushes.||1/2/3|
|Gold Miner||Extract 5, 100, and finally 2,000 gold ore.||1/2/3|
|Helter Smelter||Produce 8, 400, and finally 3,800 bars of precious metal.||1/2/3|
|Best Friends||Buy 2, 4, and finally 6 pets.||1/2/3|
|Tasty Treats||Feed your pets 10, 400, and finally 3,800 times.||1/2/3|
|Co-op||Fill 10, 75, and finally 500 crates for other players boat orders.||1/2/3|
|Land Owner||Expand your farm 3, 7, and finally 17 times.||1/2/3|
|High Roller||Spin the wheel of fortune 7, 14, and finally 28 days in a row.||1/2/3|
|Boat Score Hunter||Achieve 400, 5,000, and finally 5,000 boat leaderboard points.||1/10/50|
|Sports Fisher||Catch 5, 150, and finally 1,000 fish.||1/5/10|
|Big Game Fisher||Catch a total of 30, 900, and finally 6,000 lbs. worth of fish.||1/5/10|
|Fish Farmer||Expand your fishing area 2, 4, and finally 6 times.||1/2/3|
|Fisherman’s Friend||Fish 7, 14, and finally 28 days in a row.||1/2/3|
|Lobster Gourmand||Harvest 5, 50, and finally 500 lobster tails.||1/5/10|
|Pool Party||Have 2, 4, and finally 6 lobsters in your pool at one time.||1/5/10|
|Happy Town Visitors||Serve 10, 100, and finally 2,000 visitors from town.||1/5/10|
|Master of Service||Build 2, 4, and finally 6 service buildings.||1/2/3|
|Town Explorer||Expand the town 2, 8, and finally 18 times.||1/2/3|
|Duck Coiffeur||Harvest 10, 100, and finally 1,000 duck feathers.||1/5/10|
|Beauty Salon||Have 2, 4, and finally 6 ducks in the salon at one time.||1/5/10|
|Sweet Treat||Harvest 15, 300, and finally 4,500 honeycombs.||1/5/10|
|All Abuzz||Have a total of 3, 6, and finally 12 bees on your farm.||1/5/10|
|Diligent Neighbor||Collect 300, 2,000, and finally 38,000 derby points.||1/5/10|
|Taskmaster||Complete 3, 20, and finally 225 derby tasks.||1/5/10|
|Savannah Sanctuary||Collect 2, 4, and finally 6 animals in your sanctuary.||1/5/10|
|Big Appetites||Feed the animals in your sanctuary 5, 40, and finally 1,500 times.||1/2/3|
|Bingo Bonanza||Get 2, 8, and finally 20 lines in bingo derbies.||1/5/10|
|Savannah Babies||Collect 2, 4, and finally 6 Savannah baby animals in your sanctuary.||1/5/10|
In addition to the free diamonds you get from achievements, there are also a bunch of other ways to get your hands on free diamonds in Hay Day. Here are some of the best ways:
- Free diamonds are sometimes provided when you level up.
- Link your game to your Facebook account for free diamonds, and follow Hay Day for another free diamond.
- Tap the movie ticket when you find it, and watch trailers to get rewards that can include diamonds.
- Open random mystery boxes when you find them, as they can contain diamonds.
- Start mining at level 24 for a chance at unearthing diamonds.
- Keep an eye out for official Supercell contests on their Facebook page.
The mine in Hay Day is unlocked at level 24, and its main purpose is to provide a source for precious metals. It costs 21,000 coins and takes 35 hours to complete, so be sure to bank your coins and plan ahead.
Once you have unlocked the mine, you start extracting ore. Unlike most processes in the game, there is no time investment associated with extracting ore. It works more like removing obstacles like trees and rocks, in that you can mine as much as you want, as fast as you can swipe your finger, but every single extraction requires you to expend a tool.
Every time you use the mine, you have a chance to extract diamonds in addition to ore. Here is a rough idea of the percentage chance you have to obtain diamonds based on the extraction tool that you use:
|Approximate diamond drop rate||11%||9%||8%||6%|
The main limiting factor in obtaining diamonds from the mine is that you need to use tools. Since you can only obtain tools by chance when you harvest, or by purchasing them from other players, your ability to farm the mine for diamonds will be limited by your luck.
Every day at 8:00 PM (EST), a truck will pull up across the street from your farm. The truck has a trailer hitched up behind it, and a carnival game called the Wheel of Fortune sits on the trailer. Be on the lookout for this truck, because spinning the wheel of fortune grants prizes like free diamonds.
The first spin is free, so there is no downside. If you land on the jackpot, you get another free spin. Otherwise, you will win the prize that you land on, and additional spins will cost one diamond each.
If you don’t spin the Wheel of Fortune, the truck will eventually leave, and you will need to wait until the next day.
From time to time, you will notice red toolboxes appear around your farm. It can be difficult to spot them early on since your farm will be covered in trees and rocks, so make sure to look around from time to time.
These mystery boxes are sometimes free to open, and they can contain coins, building materials, and even free diamonds. Other mystery boxes are locked, and you need to pay diamonds to unlock them. Since mystery boxes are more likely to contain building materials or coins than diamonds, it isn’t a good idea to unlock them unless you already have more diamonds than you know what to do with.
One of the easiest ways to get some free diamonds is to link your Facebook account. When you link your account, you will receive five diamonds. Following Supercell’s Facebook page also allows you to get another free diamonds.
While it’s totally possible to play Supercell alone, linking your Facebook also increases the odds that you will be able to play with your friends. This allows you to buy items from their roadside stands, find hidden mystery boxes on their farms, and more.
From time to time, you will notice movie tickets appear next to your farm’s mailbox. Clicking on one of these movie tickets launches a feature called Night at the Movies. This allows you to watch short advertisements, usually for other mobile games, in exchange for rewards.
Some of the rewards you can receive include building supplies to expand your farm, vouchers, products, and even free diamonds.
You may receive up to two tickets each day, so keep your eyes on the mailbox.
Here are the best Hay Day tips and tricks to help build up your farm:
- Spend your diamonds wisely: Supercell gives you 30 free diamonds when you start the game. During the tutorial, you are encouraged to use the rush feature, as it is free for your first couple of buildings. Once the rush feature starts costing diamonds, stop using it. Never spend diamonds to speed up crops.
- Plan your crops, livestock, and finished products: Keep an eye on your truck requests board, and work toward goals. Identify the products you need, then grow the crops, manufacture the feed, feed your livestock, and then produce the specific products you need to fill requests to avoid overcrowding your silo and barn early on.
- Expand your production facilities: Each production facility, like your feed mill and dairy, starts off with only two build slots. Spend gems to increase the queue space of the ones you use the most to keep your farm working when you aren’t playing.
- Expand your silo and barn: Hold on to all of the building supplies you find at first, even if it’s tempting to sell them for a huge coin windfall. The silo and barn both have limited capacities, and you will need a bunch of building supplies to increase them. This allows you to bank more crops and finished products and fill more orders.
- Check out the deals on Greg’s farm each day: Greg is a non-player character (NPC) who serves as your first friend in the game. You can visit his farm, just like a real friend, and buy items from his roadside stand. Unlike real players, Greg often sells useful items for very low prices, and his inventory refreshes about once per day.
- Use wheat to generate building materials quickly: If you’re having trouble getting the building materials to expand your silo and barn, use a technique called wheating. Plant all of your available fields with wheat, harvest, and replant. Each harvest has a chance to produce a building material. Wheat grows quickly, so this is a very fast process. Sell the wheat you gather through a newspaper ad, and you’ll end up with a bunch of coins in addition to building materials.
- Don’t forget to claim your achievement diamonds: When you complete an achievement, you get free diamonds. You have to claim them by tapping on your house and then tapping on the achievement that you completed. This will actually place the diamonds in your stash so you can use them.
- Make frequent use of the roadside stand to earn coins: When you have a surplus of any item, place it in your roadside stand and set a price. Setting a low price will usually help it sell more quickly, but other players are often willing to pay the maximum price, especially for harder to find items.
- Make smart use of your free newspaper advertisements: You get a free ad in the newspaper every five minutes, so plan your sales accordingly to avoid spending diamonds. Only the item you select to advertise shows up in the newspaper for other players, so try listing multiple stacks of the same item to satisfy more than one buyer. As long as the item you listed remains unsold, the listing will stay live for up to three hours.
- Prepare for your riverboat cargo requests in advance: When you send off a riverboat, check the requests for the next boat. The boats take hours to get back, so you will have time to bank the requested items and immediately send out the next boat when it shows up.